Volunteer for an Ohio STC leadership role! Why?
Read these 10 Reasons to Volunteer with Ohio STC.
These positions are elected by the chapter membership for a one-year term, beginning July 1 of the current year, and ending June 30 of the following calendar year. Officers are expected to attend Ohio STC Board meetings (in person or by conference call). Board meetings are usually held twice a year, but may occur more frequently. In addition to the duties described in our Chapter Bylaws, the responsibilities of each role are described below.
Not quite ready for a leadership role? We have plenty of other Volunteer Opportunities, where you can learn the ins and outs of running a successful chapter.
- Provides overall leadership for the chapter.
- Promotes Society and chapter membership.
- Promotes member engagement and volunteer participation.
- Encourages innovation, career development, and continual learning within the membership.
- Stays up-to-date with Society news and trends within the profession.
- Writes the President’s Column for the chapter newsletter.
- Chairs chapter board meetings.
- Schedules kick-off meetings with incoming committee leads to discuss plans for the year; engages with leads as needed throughout the year.
- Attends STC Community Affairs Committee (CAC) webinars, participates in the President’s listserv.
- Introduces speakers and makes announcements at chapter events.
- Recruits officer candidates and committee leads for the following program year.
- Mentors and prepares the Vice President to become chapter President.
- Becomes Immediate Past President following term as President.
Immediate Past President
- Remains active in the chapter and supports the incoming President and executive board members in an advisory role.
- Helps identify and recruit officer candidates and committee leads for the following year.
- Attends committee kick-off meetings with the President and attends chapter events whenever possible to observe and understand the chapter activities.
- Attends chapter board meetings.
- Attends the STC Annual Summit, if able (registration is paid for by Ohio STC; hotel & travel expenses not included). Attends Leadership Day at the Summit; networks with the CAC members and other chapter leaders.
- Assists with other duties, as requested by the President.
- Becomes President following term as Vice President.
- Attends chapter board meetings and records minutes.
- Keeps track of volunteer recognition points.
- Maintains Ohio STC books and financial records; ensures that they remain current so that they can be inspected at any time.
- Attends chapter meetings and reports on the financial status of the chapter.
- Prepares the annual budget with the executive committee and submits it to the STC International Treasurer and staff.
- Monitors chapter spending and makes recommendations to executive board and committees.
- Reviews signed contracts and provides tax-exempt certificates to venues when necessary.
- Files a 1099-N postcard with the IRS (once per year; 5-minute process).
- Prepares a year-end financial report and submits it to STC International Treasurer and staff.