It is always a good time to point out the outlandishness of the English language.
- Alliteration contains five syllables, none of which begin with the same sound.
- Dactylic isn’t. A spondee, however, is a spondee.
- Diphthong doesn’t contain any.
- Double-u is a word that doesn’t contain a w.
- Lisp is hard to say when you have one.
- Palindrome isn’t one.
- Phonetically is spelled p-h-o-n-e-t-i-c-a-l-l-y, meaning it is not spelled phonetically.
- Polysyllabic and monosyllabic have the same number of syllables.
- Tooth is a word that is hard to way when you don’t have any.
By Brigid Brockway
Thank you to Brigid for also sharing her photos. Enjoy!